Wednesday, August 29, 2007
We start track and field on Monday, September 3rd (yes, we have to work on Labor day...that is a US Holiday, not a Honduran Holiday!) I am the head track coach (because I have so much experience and everyone else is pretty recently out of college) and Mike is coaching hurdles...yes, he ran 300 M Hurdles and 110 Hurdles in high school. The track season only lasts for a month and a half, unlike the track season in the states that lasts 3 months! They also only have two meets a year and not one or two every week! We only have to practice 3 days a week and not 5 like in the states either...I won't have to take anyone home because they have an activity bus that takes them home at 4:30 in the afternoon!! Why can't they do that in the states?? Things are just so much more laid back here than in states, I am so much less stressed and it is wonderful!!! Above is a picture of the gym and soccer field area where we will be practicing...there is no track.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Sunday, August 26, 2007
On Saturday, Mrs. Smith (Mary, the director's wife) took us into town to the Market and to the Fabric and Craft stores. There were tons of fabric store, but none of them had notions (thread, etc.)...they had separate stores for that. I needed some yarn for class and that was so expensive! It was 83 Limperas ($4.36) a skein! I bought drapery fabric and that was 45 Limperas ($2.37) a yard and it was 110" wide!!! So fabric is cheaper, but yarn is not. Mike was excited about taking pictures. He took some pictures at the market and some in town. There was this little girl under a table at the market playing with another girl and they were so cute! It is amazing the wealth and poverty here. There are so few middle class.
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Saturday, August 18, 2007
Friday, August 10, 2007
Thursday, August 9, 2007
Some of you have been asking us what you can send. These are some things that would make our lives better:
- Damprid (or anything to remove moisture)!!!!!!!!
- Spices of any kind
- Good recipes of any kind that you have...(we have to do much more food preparation here)
- Plastic Containers of any kind
- Bulletin Board Border (for Home Economics and Math)
- Any kitchen utensils (to be used in the classroom, there are three kitchens)
- Hemguages (to be used in the classroom)
- Any sewing supplies that you don't need (to be used in the classroom)
- Paper muffin cups
- Ziploc Bags
- Powdered Gatorade
- Yarn and Thread (they are way more expensive here)
Just to let you know...apparently it cost between $25.00 and $30.oo to send anything here and it takes almost a month to get here even if they tell you it will take 6-10 days. Letters take that long too. If you would rather give us something to take back when we come home in December that would be great too! Thanks in advance for all of your prayers and whatever you send! We are so blessed in the states. This school is blessed as well compared to other schools here, but still has no where near what we have in the states. A lot of the stuff that we threw away in the home economics labs when we were cleaning out at North Forsyth is the type of thing that they are using here! It is amazing what you make do with when you don't have it!
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Monday, August 6, 2007
We have had a lot of questions that I think that I will try to answer...if you have anymore, just let me know!
- First of all, the weather is wonderful! I am sitting outside right now connecting to someone's wireless Internet connection and have great reception...it is not so good inside. I don't think I have sweated at all since I have been here. We will be here until Decemeber 19th and then we will come back to the states for Christmas.
- Our little dog is staying with my parents at the Kapp Farm in Rural Hall if anyone wants to visit her! My mom told me that she missed us the first few days, but I think she may be better now.
- We are in orientation right now and school starts on Thursday, August 16 with two half days Thursday and Friday. The other teachers arrive on Wednesday and they will be doing training with us.
- We have not gotten our 60 cubic feet of boxes yet and probably will not get them before school starts. That is concerning because my teacher stuff is in there....so pray that they come before that!